Customized Training and Development
Who We Are
Customized Training and Development delivers educational needs and addresses those strategic goals through custom educational courses and certificates. We work with your staff to define your needs and then coordinate with instructors to design a targeted, needs-based learning experience.
These courses can be a single day, multiple days, a full week or several weeks over a year with interrelated topics. These specialized courses can be delivered at NC State’s McKimmon Conference and Training Center, your company’s site, off-site or online. Custom courses apply insights to your organization’s real-world challenges while developing productive new knowledge and networks among employees.
What We Do
People are overwhelmed with the rapid pace of change in technology and processes. For your organization to survive and thrive in a global economy, your employees need ongoing education to keep their skills sets current and a business competitive. Customized Training and Development is positioned to deliver courses and certificates that lead to job growth, create new business opportunities and support business retention and recruitment.
Our entrepreneurial approach to talent development ensures quick-to-market training that is flexible, responsive and innovative. By customizing courses and certificates, we provide your business with content that addresses key issues within your specific organization while keeping an eye on the bottom line. Customized Training and Development helps your organization thrive!
Where We Are
The office of Customized Training and Development is located within the McKimmon Conference and Training Center on the campus of NC State University in Raleigh, NC.
- Connect the units, services and programmatic activities of Continuing and Professional Education to your organization
- Develop cost-effective contractual/customized education solutions utilizing intellectual capital of NC State faculty and staff and associations
- Design, develop, and promote noncredit distance education opportunities
- Establish vital content links to academic expertise
- Review resources for funding opportunities to support educational course
Sample Certificate Programs
We can custom build any certificate program that fits the needs of your organization. Learn more about our process and available offerings.
Certificate in Communications
- Effective Communications
- Dynamic Listening Skills for Successful Communications
- Creative Conflict Management
- Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Win-Win Negotiations
Certificate in Effective Management
- Conflict Management
- Communication Skills
- Everyday Writing
- Time and Priority Management
Certificate in Leadership
- The Challenge of Change
- Innovation Skills
- Communication Skills
- How to Do Annual Review Effectively
- Attitudes – Builders and Destroyers
- Creative Conflict Management
Certificate in Personal Effectiveness
- Writing for the workplace
- Personal Organization
- Thinking on Your Feet
- Attitudes Builders and Destroyers
- Working with Difficult People
Certificate in Personal Skills Excellence
- Making Positive Impressions
- Decision Making
- Dynamic Listening Skills for Successful Communication
- Procrastination and Time Management to
Increase Effectiveness and Efficiency
- Customer Service Essentials
Certificate in Teamwork
- Responding Positively to Change/Adaptability
- Working as a Team/Effective Team Member/ Being the Best We Can Be – Teamwork
- Develop Effective Working Relationships/ Building Rapport and Developing Relationships
- Managing Multiple Projects
- Increasing Emotional Intelligence
Certificate in Working with People
- Generations and Diversity: Working together
- How to Handle Emotionally Charged Situations In the Workplace
- How to Work Effectively with People Who Act, Think and Work SO Differently from You!
- Communicating Through E-Mail: Top Dos and Don’ts
- Business Grammar Tips, Tricks and Techniques/ Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling Tune-Up
Certificate in Project Management (5 courses)
3 required courses:
- How to Communicate, Influence and Negotiate in Project Management
- Leading Project Teams
- Project Management: Tools, Principles, Practices
Two electives: Pick from the below:
- Advanced Project Management
- How to be a Highly Effective Project Manager
- Mastering Project Management
- Managing Capital Projects
- Practical Leadership Skills
- PMP and CAPM Examination Prep Course
- Stimulating Creativity and Innovation: Techniques for Managers of Departments Teams or Projects
- Using NLP to Achieve High Performance at Work
NC State University’s Project Management Certificate course have been ranked #3 by Value Colleges in their 2016 rankings of the Top 50 Best Value Project Management Certificate Programs! The Best Value ranking considers only regionally accredited universities and colleges and ranks them according to a formula using data gathered from U.S. News & World Report Rankings, Payscale’s 2015-16 College Salary Report, and actual cost (per credit).
Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI®)
The Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI®) tool is the world’s best-selling tool for helping people understand how different conflict-handling styles affect interpersonal and group dynamics—and for empowering them to choose the appropriate style for any situation. The TKI tool assesses an individual’s typical behavior in conflict situations and describes it along two dimensions: assertiveness and cooperativeness. It provides detailed information about how that individual can effectively use five different conflict-handling modes or styles.
Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI®) can be added to any certificate program.
Individual classes that are part of a specific certificate can be mixed and matched with other classes to create a “custom” certificate program.
Custom topics that are not listed can be developed with an instructor to address specific group needs.
Technology – Software and Hardware
Help your business keep up with emerging technologies critical to your success through education and training in information systems, programming, databases, operating systems, web technology and ecommerce. Certificate courses can be developed for technology topics and/or merged with leadership and management courses.
Customized Training and Development Brings Program to NC DHHS
Congratulations to the 20 members from multiple departments of NC Department of Health and Human Services (NC DHHS) who recently completed the Management Development Certificate program. To earn the certificate, participants completed six classes: Innovation Skills, Leading and Managing Millennials, Attitudes – Builders and Destroyers, Communication Skills, The Challenge of Change and Creative Conflict Management. This program was a partnership between NC DHHS – HR and Customized Training and Development within the McKimmon Center at NC State.
Centered on Your Success!
Customized Training and Development provides precision-crafted education, course and consulting services tailored to organizations’ specific education needs. All of the education is highly customizable from content to location to format. Topics can be conducted on-site at an organization’s facility, at NC State, at another location, or even on-line. Dedicated education offers a cost-effective, efficient and convenient way for organizations to train their employees.
What People Are Saying
“Very relevant. Will be able to apply elements into my team’s project management tasks. If organization embraces these philosophies, it will improve our overall project management processes. Everything was valuable.”
– Kip McDaniel, Director, Creative Services, Cooper Hand Tools, Apex, NC
“Enjoyed the class and will be able to use this immediately in my current work.”
– Ruth Epps, NC Department of Revenue, Raleigh, NC
“I feel like I have absorbed a lot of new methods and ideas.”
– Roger Hurley, Channel Manager, Cooper Hand Tools, Apex, NC
“I enjoyed the class. I feel able to use this product in my job. Hands-on exercises were very effective.”
– Elaine Bednarz, NC Department of Revenue, Raleigh, NC